I've been together with my husband for 12 years. In those 12 years we disagreed or fought maybe 10 times...8 of those fights happened after Amelie was born. If he was not the coolest person and the only one to tolerate my shit, I believe these numbers would of been much much higher, so...
1. Appreciate each other and vocalize it often. If he changes the diaper, instead of "Finally!" say "Thank you".
2. When it gets too much and you haven't slept or showered in days, put your hands down and laugh together even if it's through the tears. It's too f**ked up to do anything else.
3. Make a list of things that made you say "Yes" when he proposed. Read it often.
4. Do one small thing a day for each other, no matter how little. My husband makes me an egg sandwich every morning to take to work. No jewelry in the world can replace that.
5. Don't bring too many outsiders into your problems. Solve what you need to privately.
6. Slap each other's ass once in a while in passing. Sex will follow...one day.
7. If you can't get out together, make a date in. Better plates, bottle of wine, "Entourage".
8. Give each other a break, especially if you have no family help. Me and my husband operated in three our shifts until the crying monster disappeared at about 6 months of age.
9. If you do fight, fight about what really bothers you. Don't bring other topics into the mix.
10. If all fails and you are angry, frustrated and hate each others guts for that moment...look at your kid. You made that, it's yours and you freaking it out by screaming at each other.
This blog entry is not to be reproduced without permission.